Sometimes, you just need to feel healthy and drink something green. I started this healthy shake to help me feel more energized and hydrated throughout the day with hopes of consuming a few more nutrients and vitamins as well. After doing more research, I’ve found that the ingredients can help combat inflammation, boost my immune system, and help with digestion! Here’s the rough complete recipe and some of its many benefits!
- 1 leaf lacinto or dino kale
- 1 leaf chard (i use rainbow chard because I like the colored stems)
- Handful of mint
- Handful of cilantro
- Handful of parsley
- About ½ to 1 thumb size of turmeric root
- ½ cup fresh pineapple
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Water and ice
Time to Break Down The Goodness
Kale and chard are rich in vitamin K, A, C, B6, E, folate, and manganese as well as thiamin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid. Kale is also a good source of several dietary minerals such as iron, calcium, potassium, and phosphorus. Manganese facilitates calcium absorption and plays a role in carb and fat metabolism which are very helpful to those training for sports like Olympic weightlifting. Score. Chard has several fancy named antioxidants that act as anti-inflammatory agents by altering the activity of pro-inflammatory enzymes and preventing the production of pro-inflammatory messaging molecules.
- Cilantro and Parsley also provide vitamin A, C, K and dietary minerals.
- Mint has several benefits that assist in proper digestion, relief from nausea, fatigue, headache, and skin care.
- Turmeric is the star of the show here. On the molecular level, turmeric has the ability to promote heart and brain health. It also has anti-inflammatory properties and helps our bodies stimulate their own antioxidant enzymes.
- Pineapple is hooking it up with vitamin C and manganese. It also helps add sweetness to the shake.
- Lemon provides more vitamin C and flavor to the shake.
I drink one of these about 3-4 times a week and I’ve notice more regularity, more energy, and clearer skin!
Give this recipe a try, and don’t hesitate to add your own ingredients!